Chinese smartphone brand Xiaomi, which was expected to launch either the high-end Mi 5 or the Redmi Note 2 in June, may now unveil the Redmi Note 2 at an event scheduled for 16 August.
Mobipicker has reported that Xiaomi's vice-president of marketing Tony Wei has confirmed that an event will be held in Beijing on 16 August.
The report has quoted the technology director of IHS China Wang Yang -- referring to Tony Wei's post on Weibo -- as saying that the Redmi Note 2 could be launched on 16 August.
Previously, reports had hinted that the China-bred company would release the MIUI 7 during the 16 August event.
Key technical specifications of Xiaomi Redmi Note 2
Though not official, the Redmi Note 2 could feature:
- 5.5in IPS capacitive display
- Android 5.0.2 operating platform with MIUI 6.0 on top
- 1.2GHz quad-core Cortex-A53 CPU within a Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 SoC
- 13MP rear camera
- 5MP front camera
- 2GB RAM
- 8GB internal storage
- MicroSD card slot for expansion of internal storage up to 64GB
- LTE, HSPA, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 2.0 and microUSB connectivity
- 3100 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery.