Yerry Mina
Yerry Mina has garnered a big reputation at Palmeiras. Getty

Yerry Mina's uncle and agent would like the Palmeiras centre-back to complete his proposed move to Barcelona in the upcoming January transfer window but he says that the La Liga giants are yet to decide whether to seal the deal now or wait until the summer.

Barcelona have a first option to sign the 23-year-old defender in a deal worth €9m (£7.9m, $10.6m) which could be activated either in January or at the end of the current campaign.

It has been said that Ernesto Valverde planned to delay his arrival until the summer with the manager satisfied with his options of Gerard Pique, Samuel Umtiti, Javier Mascherano and Thomas Vermalen to cover the position.

But recent reports in Spain have claimed that Barcelona may need to bring the deal forward to January after some unexpected setbacks which have left Valverde with only two specialist centre-halves available for the recent games against Villarreal and Sporting CP.

Mascherano has been on the sidelines since last month's international break due to a hamstring injury while Umtiti has been ruled out for around two months after suffering another injury blow during the recent La Liga clash with Celta Vigo.

The Argentina international is expected to be back soon but it has emerged that the former Liverpool star has asked to leave the club in January in order to increase his chances of playing in the World Cup next summer.

The latest reports in Spain suggested that Barcelona are ready to fulfil those demands by accepting an offer from an unnamed Chinese club worth around €5m.

Mascherano's exit will probably force the Catalans to go into the market to sign a new centre-half ahead of the second half of the season but Mina's uncle still doesn't know whether his nephew will be the chosen one.

"I was in Sao Paulo last week and spoke with the people of Palmeiras. I have also had contact with Barcelona. The truth is that, given the circumstances, for the injuries of the two players [Umtiti and Mascherano], we have decided to wait for everything to advance in the best possible way. We are going to have patience and hope that what is going to happen will happen at the lucky moment," Jair Mina confirmed to RAC 1.

"We have talked and we will see how the situation at the club progress. Let's wait. The kid is currently on holidays, working and waiting to see what happens. But he is more focused on Palmeiras than another team because he has contract at Palmeiras.

Pressed on whether Barcelona plan to complete the transfer in January or at the end of the season, Mina said: "That part is on standby. It is pending that they [Barcelona] meet and make decisions. I can't tell you. We are calm. Barcelona is a very large club. They evaluate their times and we still have not discussed the subject [if it will be done in January or in summer] in depth.

Asked if he would rather the deal to go though in January, Mina's agent confirmed: "Barcelona are a well-structured team with very experienced people. One would like that the kid will go now [in January]. But Barça have a plan and a protocol. You have to respect it.

"When we left Independiente for Palmeiras the kid arrived in Brazil, worked hard and after three days he was a regular starter. He will give the best of himself, I trust 100% in him and there would be no problem in his adaptation [if he arrives to Barcelona in January]. But everything is pending on when Barcelona speak with Palmeiras. He is waiting."

Mina's uncle added there are more clubs monitoring the situation but Barcelona remain as the main candidate to secure his services thanks to their first refusal to sign him from Palmeiras.

"There are more clubs interested in the player, it's no secret. That situation must be looked at but Barça continues to have priority and we hope that things will work out in the best way for everyone, for Palmeiras, for Barcelona and for the player. We hope Barça take the initiative and communicate with Palmeiras, then we will meet with the team. At the moment, [Barcelona] have not informed about their interest in bringing him [in January]. There are talks about the agreement that exists but we are going to see what happens. Today I can not confirm anything."