The world of American sport lost one of its greatest and most cherished characters on 22 September as baseball legend Yogi Berra died of natural causes at the age of 90 at his home in New Jersey. A celebrated Hall of Fame inductee, the highly rated catcher was best known for winning 10 World Series championships during an illustrious 18-year stint with the New York Yankees.
Berra, an 18-time All-Star who finished his playing career with the Mets 50 years ago, also managed both franchises and coached the Houston Astros in the late 1980s. He still holds the record for the most hits and games in the history of the World Series.
His passing was announced by the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center. His family said in a statement: "While we mourn the loss of our father, grandfather and great-grandfather, we know he is at peace with mom. We celebrate his remarkable life, and are thankful he meant so much to so many. He will truly be missed."
As well as commanding enduring respect as a fantastic player, Berra also became known for his hilarious one-liners and amusing witticisms. Eventually known as 'Yogi-isms, these insights made him a beloved character that far transcended his sport.
10 of the best 'Yogi-isms'
- "It's deja vu all over again"
- "It ain't over 'til it's over"
- "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious"
- "I never said most of the things I said"
- "You can observe a lot by watching"
- "Never answer an anonymous letter"
- "Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel"
- "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken"
- "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical"
- "I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four"