Asus' pure mid-ranger, the Zenfone 5 (bearing model number A500KL), which was earlier confirmed to receive the Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update, is now officially receiving the firmware upgrade software and users of the smartphone can check for it and install the software image.
Asus has now made public the official changelog of features that Zenfone 5 users, post the installation of Android 5.0 (bearing version number 22.214.171.124), can expect to see in their handsets.
According to Asus, the following new manufacturer-specific updates have been incorporated in Android 5.0 and these aspects will reflect in users' Zenfone 5 handsets:
New functionality added:
- Asus Webstorage
- Super Note
- My Ocean wallpaper
- Day Scene Live wallpaper
- TripAdvisor App
- Asus Auto-Start Service Manager
Modified technical aspects:
Upon installing Android 5.0, Asus Zenfone 5 users should notice the following features modified to function better, according to Asus:
- Lockscreen (Applicable to 1GB variant users): The standalone wallpaper and weather information app should no longer be displayed on the lockscreen.
- Changes in the Recent App/ Quick Settings sub-menus. This change is applicable to Zenfone 5 units incorporating 1GB RAM.
- Changes in Dialer/Contacts feature: Applicable to 1GB RAM Zenfone 5 handsets, users should notice the tab count reduced to 3, as opposed to the normal 5.
- Changes in InCall screen: Applicable to all variants of Zenfone 5 handsets, users should notice the InCall animation and cover eliminated.
- Zenfone 5 users (all variants), post installation of Android 5.0, should notice that only apps that have been authorised to start up at a particular point of time launching, rather than generically.
- Improvements in VOIP functionality
- Improvements to Music functionality
- Wallpaper function revamped
- Asus Story app removed
Conventional list of features that Android 5.0 brings along:
Apart from the above manufacturer-specific features, Android 5.0 also incorporates the following generic functionality:
- Material Design UI: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- "OK Google" voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. The Android Smart Lock secures your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
Before updating to Android 5.0, Zenfone 5 users should notice the firmware upgrade in the form of a bulky 819.44 MB-sized file.
How to update Android 5.0
- Check software version of smartphone
- Download device software and Update SOP
- Apply to same SKU update, Example: WW->WW, CN->CN,
- Software update cannot transfer the software SKU and
downgrade the software version
- Wrong SKU may cause update failure, please update the
same SKU version only
Determining device model:
- Navigate to Settings->About-> Model number
Determining current software version:
- Navigate to Settings->About-> software information->Build number.