A Britain First member has been arrested on suspicion of assault after the group disrupted a meeting held by campaigners who recently confronted Nigel Farage in a pub.

The group Ukip Beyond were labelled as "scum" and "leftwing cretins" following an incident in which they forced Farage out of a Kent pub, where he was having lunch with his family.

Farage accused the group of scaring his children to an extent they "ran away to hide" following the group's "diversity cabaret" demonstration at the village pub in Downe on 22 March.

Beyond Ukip leader Dan Glass insisted that "at no point was Mr Farage approached with children in his presence".

In response to the incident, far-right political group Britain First forced their way into a meeting held by Beyond Ukip in order to "give them a taste of their own medicine".

In a video of the incident uploaded by the group, Britain First leader Paul Golding said: "We're in a building in north London.

"We found out that the same people who harassed Nigel Farage and his family and frightened his children are meeting here tonight.

"And as you can see, look at them, barricading themselves in the room rather than facing the righteous anger of British patriots.

"We're here tonight to give them a taste of their own medicine. These people are bullies."

Police confirmed there were no reported injuries during the disturbance in Old Street, London.

Speaking to Politics.co.uk, Glass said: "They were banging on the door and trying to barge their way into a room in which there were pregnant mothers. Everyone was so scared and holding back about 15 huge people saying: 'We're going to get you. We're going to get you.' Who knows what they would have done if they had got in?"

Glass added there is a "huge difference" to their demonstration against Farage in Downe and that taken by Britain First.

"Ours was a family-friendly demonstration with fancy dress and a conga line. These were huge men trying to beat their way into a meeting. There is a huge difference," he added.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "Police in Hackney were called to Charles Square, N1 at 20:14hrs on 30 March following reports of a disturbance.

"Officers attended and found a group of 8-10 men attempting to disrupt an ongoing political meeting organised and attended by members of the public.

"A 48-year old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of common assault. He was from the group who attempted to disrupt the meeting.

"He was taken to an east London police station and has been bailed pending further enquiries to a date in late April."

Ukip have tried to distance themselves from Britain First ever since three of its members were photographed with the deputy leader of the party, Jayda Fransen, while both groups were campaigning in Rochester ahead of the upcoming by-election.

A Beyond Ukip spokesperson said: "It suits Ukip to pretend that they have no connection to groups like Britain First, but tonight's events make it clear that the far right in Britain see themselves as on the same side as Farage and his gang.

"It's a sad day when people cannot meet together to support the rights of the most vulnerable members of our society."