Three people, believed to be a man, woman and female child, have died following a deadly blaze in Langley Mill, Derbyshire, which caused a gas leak leading to the evacuation of nearby homes.
Fire-fighters were called to the blaze in North Street at around 4am. The fire badly damaged the house and a car that was parked outside. People living in neighbouring properties had to leave their homes while engineers tackled the gas leak.
In a statement, Derbyshire Police said: "Three people have died in a house fire in Langley Mill.
"Officers are working with fire-fighters to ascertain the cause of the fire."
A neighbour of the family, who did not wish to be named, told The Express: "There were about 20 of us fetching ladders to reach the floors and we managed to get some people out.
"It's a shock to discover three people have died."
The identities of the three victims have not yet been released. Anyone with information about the blaze is being asked to call police on 101.