The Congolese Presidential Majority (MP) has said it was "deeply and legitimately concerned" after the United Nations announced it was placing the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) under surveillance following a deadly violence last month.
The resource-rich country saw a deadly political crackdown as people took to the streets to demand that President Joseph Kabila steps down at the end of his second mandate, as stated in the Constitution, and end repression against dissenting voices.
In a press briefing on Sunday 2 October in the capital Kinshasa, coalition spokesman Andre Alain Atundu said that the UN's decision was clearly intended at clearing the perpetrators of the violence, which he claimed to be supporters of a large opposition group known as Le Rassemblement (The Assembly).
"To Ignore the patent responsibility of the leaders of the Rassemblement in these events, especially as their president promises and announces a stronger remake on 19 December, does not contribute to creating a climate of calm in the country, which is recommended by the Secretary-General of the United Nations,"said Atundu.
Nationwide protests, called by the Rassemblement, and demanding that President Kabila steps down from power when his second full term expires turned violent in Kinshasa after police fired tear gas and live bullets to disperse hundreds of stone-throwing youths on Monday (19 September).
On 30 September, the UN Human Rights Council announced it had placed the DRC under surveillance after expressing "deep concerns" following the deadly violence.