Friendship Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of August and this year it falls on 3rd. The tradition of dedicating one day to honouring friends and friendship began in the US in 1935.
The day, celebrating the relationship of trust and love, became popular across the world and today youngsters celebrate the day with much enthusiasm.
Traditionally the day is celebrated by meeting with friends and exchanging cards, flowers and gifts. People also exchange friendship bands as a symbol of their uncompromising support for one another.
Here are 10 quotes to inspire you on Friendship Day, and five messages to share with your pals.
Friendship Day Quotes:
1. "Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." Anais Nin
2. "My friends are my estate." Emily Dickinson
3. "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." Walter Winchell
4. "A friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be anywhere else." Len Wein
5. "It takes a long time to grow an old friend." John Leonard
6. "I get by with a little help from my friends." John Lennon
7. "Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend's success." Oscar Wilde
8. "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up." Bible: Ecclesiastes
9. "Two may talk together under the same roof for many years, yet never really meet; and two others at first speech are old friends." Mary Catherwood
10. "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival." C. S. Lewis
1. A friend is a push when you have stopped, a chat when u r lonely, a guide when u r searching, a smile when u r sad, a song when u r glad.
2. A single candle can illuminate an entire room. A true friend lights up an entire lifetime. Thanks for the bright lights of your friendship.
3. Thank you for touching my life in ways u may never know. My riches do not lie in material wealth but in having friends like u - a precious gift from God!
4. I always thought loving someone is the greatest feeling, but I realised that loving a friend is even better. We lose people we love, but we never lose true friends.
5. If u need a friend and there are a hundred steps between us, u can take the 4th step to get near me and I will take all 99 steps to be there for u.