Following the Lollipop upgrade for the Galaxy S5 Plus model, the software upgrade is live for the Galaxy S4 Black Edition.
Users in the UK are the lucky ones to get the Android Lollipop with version 5.0.1, baseband version I9505XXUHOB7 and build number LRX22C.I9505XXUHOB7.
This build, according to senior XDA member-henklbr, can be installed on the standard Galaxy S4 I9505 variant. He says the stock build includes silent mode or mute mode and other bug fixes. Besides, Lollipop goodies such new ringtones and wallpapers are present in the build.
All these new features make the stock Lollipop firmware different from the I9505XXUHOA7 that was leaked earlier this month for the Galaxy S4 LTE (quad-core Snapdragon 600) variant for users in Germany.
If you are in the UK check out the update manually by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Software update. You should also be able to find the official firmware from Samsung Kies server.
The download links for the I9505XXUHOB7 build have been shared by forum members, using which you can flash the update on your S4 Black Edition, in case you have not received the notification for this or are staying outside the UK. Head over to our step-by-step installation guide.
- Model: GT-I9505
- Model name: Galaxy S4 LTE
- Country: United Kingdom (Black Edition)
- Version: Android 5.0.1
- Changelist: 3996895
- Build date: 25 February
- Product code: BTU
- PDA: I9505XXUHOB7
- CSC: I9505YXYHOB5
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy S4 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it to the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your S4 Plus is having 80% battery. The device might shut down during the process due to lack of battery, which in turn could brick the device.
- You should be having an unlocked Galaxy S4 Black Edition GT-I9505.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- The Lollipop firmware build version I9505XXUHOB7 works with Galaxy S4 Black Edition only. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop I9505XXUHOB7 stock firmware on Galaxy S4 Black Edition
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Power off the Galaxy S4
Step-4: Enter Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odinas Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the S4 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin select the firmware files extracted in step-1 in orderly manner
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, Re-Partition checkbox should be unchecked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take a few minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the phone safely
You can now enjoy the new Android version on your Galaxy S4 Black Edition.