The Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 recently received its latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.1.2 XXBMF2, via Over-The-Air (OTA) update in Germany. The official update is still unavailable for download over Samsung KIES. However, those who missed the OTA update notification and those who cannot wait for the official release in their countries, can still download and install it manually, using our step-by-step guide.
Android 4.1.2 XXBMF2 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Date: June, 2013
Key Points to Note
- XXBMF2 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on the device to avoid data loss while performing any data wipe tasks during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) as well as its bootloader unlocked.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings >Applications> Development (if tablet is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the tablet is running Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- ODIN is designed to work in Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS X users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their computer.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF2 Jelly Bean firmware on Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100, courtesy of Droid Firmwares.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF2 Jelly Bean OTA on Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Now extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then place your Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges is required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect your tablet to the computer via USB cable. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted N5100XXBMF2 folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the tablet will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 XXBMF2 Jelly Bean OTA firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
If the tablet is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your tablet's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
Now that you have successfully installed the latest official Jelly Bean firmware on your Galaxy Note 8.0, you can root the device via CF-Auto Root, using our guide (courtesy of Honai of Android).
How to Root Official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF2 Jelly Bean OTA on Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100
Step 2: Extract CF-Auto-Root and Odin 3.07 files using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other file extracting tool.
Step 3: Power off the tablet and then boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the device turns on. Now hit the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin on computer.
Step 5: Connect the tablet to the computer via USB cable while it is still in Download Mode. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If Odin fails to detectthe device then re-install USB drivers for your tablet on computer.
Step 6: In Odin, click the PDA button and select CF-Auto-Root-konawifi-konawifixx-gtn5110.tar.md5 file.
Step 7: Verify that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. Also, ensure the Re-Partition option is not selected.
Step 8: Double-check and click Start in Odin. The installation process will now begin.
Step 9: Once the installation process completes, your device will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. You can now unplug the USB cable to disconnect the tablet from computer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (Wi-Fi) N5110 running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official firmware is now rooted. It is now possible to install any app that requires root permission. Confirm root access to the device by downloading Root Checker app from Google Play Store.