Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G users can now enjoy the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom firmware experience, thanks to the recently released SlimBean Build 6 ROM from SlimROMs team. The release of latest SlimBean custom ROM gains precedence, as Samsung is yet to announce the release of its latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official firmware for the phone.
The latest SlimBean ROM (Build 6) continues the tradition of offering a fast, stable and stock-like Jelly Bean experience in a lightweight package. In addition, the ROM also brings a host of new bug-fixes and feature enhancements over its previous build.
SlimBean Build 6 ROM Bug-Fixes and Feature Enhancements
Here is the complete list of bug-fixes and feature enhancements ported into the latest version of SlimBean ROM:
- Add DC-HSPA+ to framework
- Fixed GlowPad layout on Larger devices
- Massive improvements to T9 dialer
- TRDS 2.0 [Updated Packages + Gapps]
- Added Power Dis/Connect Notification sound options
- Added TruView [Camera]
- Massive updates to DashClock [Beta2]
- Fixed Torch FC
- Added Multi-Part/Split SMS option [Mms]
- Added Transparent Incoming call [Phone]
- Added Auto-Brightness sensitivity
- Changed keyboard hints to full holo blue light [LatinIME]
- Fixed BT MAP requests
- More optimizations and fixes for memleaks for Slim changes
- And some more optimizations to Dalvik!
- Fixed NFC bugs
- Fixed TRDS on car dock
Head over to the developer source page to read the complete changelog for the newly released SlimBean Build 6 ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The SlimBean Build 6 ROM and instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates the complete image of your phone's existing setup.
- Ensure the device has at least 85% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- If the device is stuck at booting or is experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- If you encounter a Status 7 error message while flashing the firmware, then it could be due to an incompatible device or a necessary kernel may be missing (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G via SlimBean Build 6 ROM
1. Connect and mount the phone's storage on computer via USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
3. After the file transfer process completes, power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
4. Boot the phone into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together. Release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again, when the Samsung logo appears on screen. NOTE: Once the device enters CWM recovery, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of existing ROM, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to the main recovery menu once backup is complete.
6. Perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until the wiping process completes. Finally, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse to the Slim Bean Build 6 ROM ZIP file copied earlier to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat step 7. But, choose the Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to reboot the phone into the newly installed Slim Bean Build 6 ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore and then restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Slim Bean Build 6 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]