Xiaomi has pushed out its latest MIUI iteration for compatible phones through an over-the-air update for users across the globe. Both global and China stable versions of the MIUI 8 ROM are now seeding.
When the update becomes available for your phone, you will receive a notification. You can also use the Updater app on your phone to check for the update. If it is still not available, then consider using the methods below to install the MIUI 8 update manually. There are two methods: recovery and fastboot. You can choose either of them depending on the status of your phone.
You might get an error while downloading the MIUI 8. No need to worry as it is quite normal. This happens as Xiaomi's server might be down temporarily due to the massive downloading enquiries. Just keep trying.
Download MIUI 8
- Mi 2 / 2S – Fastboot or recovery
- Redmi 1S – Fastboot or recovery
- Mi 4i – Fastboot or recovery
- Note 4G – Fastboot or recovery
- Note 3G – Recovery
How to install MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM if phone is on Mi 2.0.1 recovery
- Download MIUI 8 recovery ROM on your PC and rename it to update.zip to make the process easier
- Connect the phone to your PC using USB cable, and move the downloaded file into the root directory of internal storage of the phone
- Put the phone in recovery mode. Launch the Updater app on your phone and then click the 3 dots icon at the top-right corner, then select Reboot to Recovery mode. Alternatively, use key combination. Just turn off the phone and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together to enter recovery
- In recovery, use the Volume Up or Down to select and the Power button to confirm the process. Choose the language you want to, then select Install update.zip to System One and confirm. The phone will update automatically. Select Reboot System One to boot the phone into the new MIUI version, after the update is complete
How to install MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM if the phone has Mi recovery interface
- Download the MIUI 8 recovery ROM on your PC and rename it to update.zip
- Go to the Updater app and click the 3 dots icon at the top right corner. Select Choose update package
- Head over to Download folder and Choose files, then choose the download zip, select it and tap OK
- The phone will then verify the package getting info and reboot automatically and flash the update.
How to install MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM via fastboot method
- For this method, you need to unlock your phone's bootloader. Head over to the MIUI unlock website and click on the unlock now. This will say whether you have permission to unlock the phone, if yes, then you are good to go ahead
- Download the unlocking tool. First turn your phone off, then press the Power and Volume buttons together to enter bootloader mode. Now log into the unlocking tool on your PC using your Mi account. Connect your phone to the PC via USB. Press Unlock. Wait for about 10 seconds for the unlocking process to complete
- Before you go ahead with the flashing process, create a backup of all important data of your phone
- Download the Mi flash tool. Decompress it and double-click on it to launch. If you see any security warning, just select Run
- Switch off the phone. Press the Volume and Power buttons together to enter fastboot mode. Connect the phone to your PC
- Double click the MIUI ROM file to decompress it. Open the folder for the decompressed ROM and copy its path on the computer
- Paste the address bar of the ROM. Click the first button to Refresh. Mi flash should now recognise your phone. Click the second button (in red), to flashMIUI ROM on your phone
- Wait for some time until the progress bar in Mi flash turns green, indicating a successful installation. The phone will then automatically boot into the new ROM
The Second space and Dual apps settings might not appear on your phone, which is due to hardware restrictions. Xiaomi has confirmed Redmi 1S, 2, Note 3G, Note 4G don't support the above settings.