Google has silently rolled out yet another Android 5.1 update with build LMY47E to its flagship smartphone, the Nexus 6, while some avid Android fans had earlier leaked an RSD image for the same update.
Although there are no details about the changes or improvements ported into the new build (LMY47E) of Android 5.1, it is ascertained that it features an updated radio image, which controls various signals from your phone such as Wi-Fi, cellular connectivity and Bluetooth.
It is also speculated that the update could have something to do with the Verizon carrier, as the term "VRZ" appeared in the leaked RSD image that made waves online, just a few days ago.
Nevertheless, interested Nexus 6 users may go ahead and download the latest Android 5.1 build LMY47E via developer source links posted here and then install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide posted below.
Note: All Nexus 6 devices running Android 5.1 Lollipop build LMY47D can be upgraded to the latest build of Lollipop (LMY47E) via the official factory image.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the Nexus 6 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone as installing this firmware on incorrect variants might brick the device.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Nexus 6 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options Note: If Developer Options is not visible then you need to enable it as follows:
- Go to Settings > About Phone.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number.
- Then tap build number seven times to unlock the Developer Options under Settings and then enable USB Debugging mode.
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM or TWRP recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Update Nexus 6 to Android 5.1 Lollipop Build LMY47E via Factory Image
Step 1 -Download the Android 5.1 Factory Image for your Nexus phone on the computer.
Step 2 – Connect the Nexus 6 to your computer via USB cable.
Step 3 - Ensure Fastboot is configured and properly installed on your computer. (click to see guide).
Step 4 – Power off your phone and boot it into Fastboot/Bootloader mode, using the following command: adb reboot bootloader.
Step 5 – Alternatively, you can boot the Nexus device into Fastboot mode as follows: turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons until the Fastboot menu and START icon appear on the screen.
Step 6 - If necessary, unlock the device's bootloader by running the following command: fastboot oem unlock
Step 7 - Then extract the downloaded file to a desired location on your computer (preferably desktop). Go to the folder Shamu-LMY47E and then copy/paste all the files to the Fastboot directory.
Step 8 - Using factory image files in your Fastboot directory, run the following commands depending on the OS installed on the computer:
- On Windows: Run the file "flash-all.bat".
- On Mac: Run the file "flash-all.sh" using Terminal.
- On Linux: Run the file "flash-all.sh".
Step 9 –That is all you need to do for flashing the stock factory image on your Nexus phone. Wait for the installation process to complete or follow the on-screen instructions on your phone if in case you are prompted to unlock the bootloader.
Step 10 - Once the installation completes, your phone will reboot and it may take about five minutes for the first boot to complete. So, please do not interrupt the process.
Your Nexus 6 is now running the official Android 5.1 Lollipop update with build LMY47E via stock factory image from Google. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Google Developers]