Galaxy S4 (LTE) GT-I9505 users can now enjoy the latest bug-fix and maintenance update for improved performance as well as enhanced UI tweaks, thanks to the release of I9505XXUEML9 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware. Though the firmware is officially released just for Slovakia, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy S4 I9505 regardless of the country or region, as it is unbranded.
Check out the complete list of UI tweaks and feature enhancements ported into the latest I9505XXUEML9 Android 4.3 official firmware:
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display colour reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimises display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
- Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 (LTE) on the computer.
- USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
- Back up your important data before you proceed to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
- Ensure the phone's battery charge exceeds 80 percent.
- The I9505XXUEML9 Android 4.3 firmware is compatible with Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Update Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 with Android 4.3 XXUEML9 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract Firmware zip file via WinRAR/7-Zip or WinZip to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other optional files.
Step 2: Next Odin zip file should be extracted to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy S4 LTE and boot the device into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then keep tapping Power button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect Galaxy S4 to computer via USB cable while it is still in Download Mode. When Odin detects the device and a pop-up message implying successful connection appears on screen, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the COM port number.
Note: If the Added message fails to appear, then try re-installing USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted I9505XXUEML9 firmware folder:
- Tap PDA button and choose the .tar.md5 file.
- Hit Phone button and select the file named MODEM.
- Tap CSC button and choose the file named CSC.
- Click PIT button and choose the .pit file.
NOTE: Ignore the last three files (MODEM, CSC and .pit) if they are not found.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 9: After ensuring that Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly, hit the Start button in Odin to begin installing the firmware.
Step 10: After the firmware is installed, a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the top of Odin. The phone will then reboot to the Home screen. It is now safe to disconnect the USB cable and remove the phone from computer.
Galaxy S4 LTE is now running I9505XXUEML9 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware. Head over to Settings >> About Phone to verify the firmware installed on the device.
Note: If Galaxy S4 LTE is stuck at boot animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing Reboot System Now option. In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the option. Please note that performing wiping task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.
[Source: Team Android]