Two Italian Marines
Italian sailors Salvatore Girone (R) and Massimiliano Latorre leave the police commissioner's office in the southern Indian city of Kochi on 18 January, 2013 Reuters

India has rejected the European Parliament's resolution asking it to return two Italian marines accused of killing Indian fishermen.

The European Parliament's move drew sharp reaction from New Delhi, and the Indian government has said that the step is not "well advised" since the matter is sub judice.

On Friday, 16 January, India said the case involving the two marines was being discussed with Italy.

Spokesperson for the External Affairs Ministry Syed Akbaruddin said: "The Honourable Supreme Court of India, in its ruling on 14th January, 2015, has granted three months extension to the Italian marine, Massimiliano Latorre, for his stay in Italy on health grounds and the other marine, Salvatore Girone is living in the Italian Embassy in New Delhi. Under these circumstances, the European Parliament would have been well advised not to adopt the Resolution."

Earlier, the European Parliament in Strasbourg passed a resolution seeking the return of the marines to Italy and a change of jurisdiction, The Economic Times reported.

A note from the European Parliament said: "The European Parliament hopes that diplomatic dispute between Italy and India over the prosecution of two Italian marines...will soon be settled, under Italian jurisdiction and/or through international arbitration."

The European Parliament also called for the marines to be repatriated, as their detention without charge is a "serious breach of human rights".

In a joint resolution approved by a show of hands, members expressed sadness over the death of the two fishermen, but were concerned about the detention of the marines, the release added.

The two Italian marines have been held on murder charges, after they allegedly shot two fishermen off the coast of Kerala on 15 February, 2012.

The marines have said that they fired at the fishermen mistaking them for pirates, while guarding the ship 'Enrica Lexie'.

The incident led to a diplomatic row between India and Italy over conflicting opinions on jurisdiction and immunity.