Hundreds of Palestinians marched in east Jerusalem to mark first anniversary of the brutal murder of teenager Mohammed Abu Khdeir, who was tortured and burned to death by Jewish Israelis.

The Jewish extremists kidnapped and murdered Abu Khdeir in a revenge attack for the abduction and murder of three Israeli teens - Naftali Frankel, Gilad Shaar and Eyal Yifrach - near a West bank Jewish settlement.

Following a manhunt by the Israeli police, a 30-year-old Israeli, Yossef Ben David, and two teenagers who cannot be named for legal reasons, were arrested. They later admitted that they had "gone looking for an Arab to kill" and that Mohammed was picked at random.

As security forces blocked the entrances to the Palestinian neighbourhood of Shu'afat on 2 July, the protesters chanted: "We want a new intifada."

The brutal murder led to rioting in east Jerusalem, the West Bank and among Israeli Arabs.

The Arab teen's father, Hussein Abu Khdeir, told Ynet that he was against any violent actions to mark the anniversary. "I'm not interested in clashes and don't believe there will be any. I told people I didn't want trouble, just a dignified ceremony with dignified people."

He added that the past year had been hell for him and his family. "Mohammed was burned once. Me and his mother are burning every day. They don't even burn animals, so how could people burn someone? They have no heart and no conscience.

"We still hurt from what they did to my son; it's hard for us to forget this shocking incident. The State should serve the murderers with the most severe punishment. They can't be among people. Sadly, despite the murder, we're still seeing racism and the state doesn't do anything. It cheers on the racists and continues their criminal acts."

Christian and Muslim leaders attended the memorial ceremony, including Jerusalem's Grand Mufti Muhammad Hussein and the Palestinian governor of Jerusalem, Adnan al-Husayni.

Ynet reported that some of the Palestinians threw stones at Jerusalem's light rail in three separate incidents. No injuries were reported but light damage was caused to a train trailer.

Eleven Palestinians were injured when Israeli forces attempted to quell the demonstration, the Palestinian Maan news agency reported.