Google is rolling out a security patch for its 6in Nexus smartphone. The over-the-air update brings build version MHC19I. A similar update incorporating bug fixes was first seeded for Nexus 5X users.
Nexus 6P was said to be experiencing certain serious performance issues, which might have been fixed with this update. Besides, you would notice some kernel tweaks with a bump from 100HGz to 300Hz, which should boost the performance. In addition to the bug fixes, the update is likely to contain March security patches, reports Android Police. Below is the detailed changelog for the update.
How to install MHC19I OTA update on Nexus 6P
- Download OTA update (Alternate link)
- If your Nexus phone is rooted with custom recovery running, then perform the following:
- Copy the OTA zip file to the internal storage of Nexus phone
- Reboot it into custom recovery mode
- Install the zip via recovery
If you have a non-rooted device running stock recovery, do the following steps to install the stock firmware:
- Reboot the device in to stock recovery mode by holding Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few seconds. When you see the fastboot menu and Start, press the Volume Up button a few times until Recovery appears on the screen. Now press the Power button to enter recovery mode
- You should see an Android logo with a red exclamation mark on the screen. Press the Volume Up and Power buttons together. You will be presented with a menu. Select the second option from the menu that reads, apply update from adb
- Connect the Nexus device to your PC via USB cable
- Ensure that you have the latest version of adb that supports the sideload command (If you don't have, download the latest Android SDK to get updated adb.)
- Open a command prompt (CMD in Windows, regular shell if your system is running on Linux or Mac) in the same directory, where you have saved the downloaded OTA file
- Execute the following command
.adb sideload (followed by the OTA file).zip
- You should see a progress bar indicating the installation. The update should now start installing on your Nexus
- Upon the completion of the installation, reboot your phone
Head over to Settings>> About phone to check the new version running on your phone.