UK-based indie studio Hello Games has released the largest set of fixes and tweaks so far for its near-infinite space exploration game No Man's Sky. The latest update 1.07 addresses multiple technical issues and squashes several bugs including one that leaves players stuck in the world and another one that corrupts game saves. The patch also includes a bunch of gameplay tweaks as well as a few PC-specific updates.
The new patch also fixes a bug that "could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded," which could be related to the previously reported issue where players said their discoveries made and logged in the journal were systematically being erased.
Reddit user Dark_Nexis, who first reported the issue, later said his discoveries seemed to reappear after re-downloading and reloading the game several times. The user chalked the issue up to a possible server glitch.
"I don't know what happened but all the discoveries re-appeared on my starting planet," Dark_Nexis wrote at the time."It seems like a server bugs, like it takes a while for your old discoveries to re-download... It seems a little bugged where you get further and further away from your starting point [and] you can't see your old discoveries even when you find your way back. It's like the server lags behind big time and takes a while to find the old information."
The team also addressed No Man's Sky fans' growing concerns over the team's lack of communication since the game's bumpy launch, particularly on PC. Reassuring fans that they are still listening to feedback from No Man's Sky fans, the team said that although the team is currently focused on customer support, they will continue "improve, expand and build" the sci-fi sim's ambitiously massive universe.
"Over the last few weeks since No Man's Sky released we've been inundated with feedback and discussion about No Man's Sky," the Hello Games team wrote in a blog post. "No matter what feedback you gave us, you have been heard and we are listening carefully. Thank you.
"What matters now, as always, is what we do rather than what we say. We're developers, and our focus is first on resolving any issues people have with the game as it is, then on future free updates which will improve, expand and build on the No Man's Sky universe."
Despite soaring to the top of UK's game charts within its first week of release; many irked fans have demanded refunds, citing missing features, the game's technical problems and alleged misleading advertising.
Over the few weeks since the game's release, the team has brought on a community and support management team to categorise support issues and address them in order of priority, the team said. The patch notes for the four patches each for PC and PS4 have also been released.
Hello Games founder Sean Murray previously mentioned that the team will shift its focus on adding new features and content to the game after addressing all the customer requests received thus far.
"This is a labour of love for us, and it's just the beginning," the team said.
Here is the complete list of changes included in patch 1.07:
Objectives and stuck without Hyper-drive Issues
- Player no longer able to redeem your pre-order ship at a point which would then prevent you learning the hyper-drive blueprint (and if you have done this, we save you).
- Player no longer able to bypass being sent to find hyper-drive tech by reloading a save in game at a very specific point.
Getting Stuck in the world
- Fixed a couple of low repro bugs that could result in you falling through the world and getting stuck underground.
- A raycast in some space stations could hit a very specific point that would put the player inside the floor.
- Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to be thrown in the sky at high speed when taking off (in rare cases could in turn lead to getting stuck).
- Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to get stuck in terrain and prevent you from taking off, if the player managed to out run generation of terrain LOD 1, and land inside an overhang.
- Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
- Fixed an issue where some players had some technology types being reported as "already known" when they weren't actually known.
- Under some circumstances a message was sometimes misinforming you that you learnt a blueprint when you hadn't, this has been fixed now.
- It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
- There was a bug that could cause objective markers to disappear when you loaded a previous save. This is fixed now.
- Fixed a rare issue when scanning creatures that would cause all planets to show as 100% complete even if you had only completed one.
Save / Load
- Fixed a bug what could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded, this is now fixed.
- Fixed an issue where saves made with the system clock set in the future could cause problems.
- Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when warping into a system with a space battle in progress.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when interacting with an NPC.
Tweaks and Improvements
- It is now easier to scan flying creatures.
- Fixed height and weight stats being the wrong way around for creatures.
- Gek towers can no longer be interacted with repeatedly.
- The 'You have unredeemed items' message will now only show for the first 5 minutes.
- Fixed getting 0% charge on Photon Cannon when buying a new ship and constantly being prompted to charge it.
- Reduce Suit VO for life support warnings and only do life support VO on 25% and 50%.
- Fixed grave being transferred to the new star system after you warp.
- Fixed toxic protection 3 (theta) from having the wrong name.
- Fixed incorrect marking of sea caves under floating islands.
- Turning down music and SFX volume in the options will now work correctly (mutes the VO also).
- If you change ship or multi-tool and then revert to previous save the ship should now be the one you had at the time.
- Atlas station collision improvements to prevent you from bumping into them too much.
- Fix for the stars not being discarded during load/warp (causing duplicate stars).
PC Only Issues
- Editing the settings file and corrupting it could cause the game to crash. Instead of crashing it will now revert back to the default settings.
- The inventory screen now works correctly regardless of resolution.
- Added error message for older CPUs without SSE3 support.
- Synchronise frame capping with the first vsync (removes some framerate issues).
- Added steam id to login call to help track down some login issues.
- Fixed the X key size on the galaxy map.
- If you press Tab+P in quick succession, the game paused and didn't let you out of it.
- Fixed a performance issue by defaulting your texture resolution to a sensible value based on available GPU memory.