Owners of OnePlus One can now enjoy the latest bug-fixes and feature enhancements with the release of Android 4.4.4 KitKat OTA update from Google.
The New OTA update brings new versions of Google apps, cooler calibration of display and fixes to overcome the bug that activates off-screen gestures on the phone while it is in your pocket.
A new clear image camera feature is also added with this new update, which enhances the clarity of the images being captured on the phone's primary camera.
This feature includes the ability to stitch together 10 individual photos to get a final super high-resolution photo whenever you take a snapshot on your phone's integrated camera.
Check out the complete changelog detailing the new features and bug-fixes ported into this update (courtesy of oneplusone.net forums):
- Upgraded to Android 4.4.4
- Updated to new versions of Google apps
- Added Clear Image
- Added new (colder) calibration for the screen
- Proximity sensor prevents activation of off-screen gestures while in your pocket
- Capacitive touch keys supported in the recovery mode
- Increased capacitive button illumination
- Improved overall stability
- Fixed issues with vibration being disabled during Quiet Hours
- Fixed lockscreen not updating the track information during music playback
- Fixed microphone volume for all formats in the Voice Recorder app
- Fixed "OK, Google" not triggering voice search in Google Now
- Fixed Viber calls not working
- Fixed battery percent not updating in custom lock screens
- Fixed PicasaSync
- Fixed Camera "O" gesture activating lockscreen instead of triggering camera
- Fixed wallpapers not applying in full screen, taking the wrong size when cropping, etc
In related news, Android Police confirms that the update does not fix the phone's touch-screen issue wherein it fails to distinguish between taps within close proximity of one another, and the problem manifests itself while typing.
The phone will be getting a workaround fix and a permanent fix for the touch screen issue in the near future as the report confirms the fix is not available in the current update.
In addition, the update is said to feature the following changes over the previous July release (courtesy of Android Police):
- Speaker Volume: The volume is now set higher while on a call, which overcomes the audibility issue users faced earlier in noisy and crowded environments.
- Microphone (mic) Sensitivity: Improved mic sensitivity while using voice commands and better results with Google's Search app as the phone can now clearly hear and understand what you are saying.
- Mobile Data Symbol now correctly indicates LTE instead of 4G in the notification area, while using an LTE network.
- A new revamped dialer is now available
- Access to Heads up notifications now possible via Settings > Notification drawer > Heads up and you can perform Search operations in Settings as well.
Interested users can now download the new Android 4.4.4 KitKat OTA via a 113MB zip file from the following links:
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install USB Drivers for OnePlus One on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Backup all your important data before you proceed with installation process.
4. Ensure the phone's battery has at least 80% charge.
5. The Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware is compatible only with the OnePlus One model. Do not attempt installing this firmware on incorrect variants as it may damage or brick the device. Verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings >> About phone.
How to Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on OnePlus One Manually
Step 1: Download the necessary OTA package for your phone (use above download links).
Step 2: Go to the folder where you downloaded the OTA zip file and then press SHIFT key and Right-click on empty space inside the folder.
Step 3: Choose Open command window option via the ensuing pop-up menu.
Step 4: Boot the OnePlus One to stock recovery mode by entering the following command in the CMD window: adb reboot recovery
Note: After typing the command, just hit enter. But, do not close the window yet.
Step 5: OnePlus One will reboot now and you will see a black warning screen with the Android bot icon in the middle.
Step 6: Now keep tapping Volume Up and Power buttons for a few seconds until the screen starts flashing. At this moment, release all the keys.
Step 7: The tablet should now enter stock recovery mode with the message "Android system recovery" displayed on the top of screen.
Step 8: Connect the OnePlus One to computer via USB cable.
Step 9: Use Volume keys to navigate and highlight apply update from ADB option. Then select it by tapping the Power button.
Step 10: Enter the following command to install via OTA zip file:
adb sideload cm-bacon-d22b777afa-to-0428073396-signed.zip
Step 11: You will see the transfer progress on the CMD window. Wait until the process completes and then hit reboot system now by tapping the Power button.
Your OnePlus One is now updated to the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat stock firmware.
Note: If you are using TWRP recovery, you may be prompted to re-root the phone after installation.