Xperia Z users can now install the PhilZ custom recovery, which is based on both ClockworkMod Recovery 6 and TWRP recovery.
The PhilZ recovery supports both the HSPA+ and LTE variants of Xperia Z with model numbers C6602 and C6603 respectively.
Along with offering a number of features such as Nandroid backup, ROM and theme installation, the PhilZ custom recovery allows Xperia Z users to root their devices using the recovery mode.
Interested users, who wish to install PhilZ custom recovery and root their Xperia Z, may follow our step-by-step guide. The root method uses SuperSU package for rooting.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to ensure their devices meet following set of requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Sony Xperia Z to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP then backup data using the recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the rooting process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Xperia Z should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be unlocked.
6) The device will lose manufacturer's warranty once the root method is installed.
7) The PhilZ recovery and SuperSU root package work with Sony Xperia Z C6602 and C6603. As applying these on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Xperia Z by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to Install PhilZ CWM Recovery on Sony Xperia Z
Step-1: Download PhilZ CWM recoveryfor Xperia Z and extract it anywhere on the computer
Download link: XZ-lockeddualrecovery2.7.94-BETA.flashable.zip
Step-2: You should get a folder called lockeddualrecovery after extracting the downloaded zip. This is the main package which will help installing PhilZ recovery with CWM and TWRP
Step-3: Connect the Xperia Z to computer using USB cable
Step-4: Run install.bat file from the extracted folder. Your phone should automatically reboot into PhilZ custom recovery
Step-5: Use the Volume buttons to navigate to Reboot System then press the Power button to select it
Step-6: Wait until the phone boots up and installer to complete the installation process
The PhilZ CWM Recovery 6 and TWRP should have now installed successfully on the Xperia Z.
How to Boot in PhilZ recovery: CWM or, TWRP
Switch off the phone and turn it on. When the phone is powering up, as soon as the green LED turns on, press Volume Up for PhilZ CWM recovery and Volume Down for TWRP recovery.
How to Root Sony Xperia Z on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with SuperSU
Step-1: Download SuperSU root package for Xperia Z to the computer
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip
Step-2: Connect and mount the Xperia Z USB memory on the computer using USB cable
Step-3: Copy the downloaded root zip to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the file is in SD card root, not in any folder
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and then switch it off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Recovery mode. For that, power on the phone and press the Volume Up button as soon as the green LED light appears
Step-6: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to the root file, which was earlier copied to the SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on next screen
Step-7: When the installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back+++++ and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now from main recovery menu
The Xperia Z1 should now boot and it might take about five minutes to boot for the first time.
The Xperia Z1 should have now rooted successfully on Android 4.3 firmware. Open the app drawer of the phone and check for SuperSU app. Also, to verify the root method is installed and working properly, download Root Checker app from Play Store.
[Source: Team Android]