Sony Xperia Z1 users who have already updated their devices to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean may follow our step-by-step instruction guide to root their devices. The root method uses SuperSU file, which supports both C6902 and C6903 variants of Xperia Z1. Along with rooting, the tutorial installs PhilZ ClockworkMod recovery 6 on the Xperia smartphone.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to ensure their devices meet following set of requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Sony Xperia Z1 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP then backup data using the recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery while the rooting process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Xperia Z1 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be unlocked.
6) The device will lose manufacturer's warranty once the root method is installed.
7) The PhilZ recovery and rooting files works with Sony Xperia Z1 C6902 and C6903. As applying these on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Xperia Z1 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install PhilZ CWM recovery on Sony Xperia Z1
Step-1: Download PhilZ CWM recovery for Xperia Z1 and extract it anywhere on the computer
Step-2: You should get a folder called lockeddualrecovery after extracting the downloaded zip. This is the main package which will help installing PhilZ recovery with CWM and TWRP
Step-3: Connect the Xperia Z1 to computer using USB cable
Step-4: Run install.bat file from the extracted folder. Your phone should automatically reboot into PhilZ custom recovery
Step-5: Use the Volume buttons to navigate to Reboot System then press the Power button to select it
Step-6: Wait until the phone boots up and installer to complete the installation
The PhilZ CWM Recovery 6 and TWRP should now have been successfully installed on the Xperia Z1.
How to boot in PhilZ recovery: CWM/ TWRP
Switch off the phone and turn it on. When the phone is powering up, as soon as the green LED turns on, press Volume Up for PhilZ CWM recovery and Volume Down for TWRP recovery.
How to root Sony Xperia Z1 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download SuperSU root package for Xperia Z1 to the computer
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip
Step-2: Connect and mount the Xperia Z1 USB memory on the computer using USB cable
Step-3: Copy the downloaded root file to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the file is in SD card root, not in any folder
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
Step-5: Now boot into Recovery mode. For that, power on the phone and press the Volume Up button as soon as the green LED light appears
Step-6: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to the root file, which was earlier copied to the SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on next screen
Step-7: When the installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back+++++ and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now from main recovery menu
The Xperia Z1 should now boot and it might take about five minutes to boot for the first time.
Once the Xperia Z1 boots up, it should have been rooted successfully on Android 4.3. Open the app drawer of the phone and check for SuperSU app. Also, to verify the root method is installed and working properly, download Root Checker app available at Play Store.
[Source: Team Android]