Everton manager Sam Allardyce refused to be drawn over the potential signing of Borussia Dortmund forward and mooted Liverpool and Chelsea target Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who has been linked with an astounding £60m ($80.2m) move to Goodison Park.
Aubameyang has flirted with the BVB exit door for the last couple of seasons and could well leave the Westfalenstadion next month, with Dortmund willing to sell the talented but temperamental Gabon international.
German outlet Bild claimed that Everton, Chelsea and Liverpool were all monitoring Aubameyang earlier this week, while The Mirror reported that Allardyce is prepared to sanction a club-record move for the former Saint-Etienne star, who is said to have designs on a return to AC Milan.
Allardyce confirmed that a new striker is Everton's priority ahead of the January transfer window, but while the signing of Aubameyang would reverberate around the football world, the 63-year-old knows the players he brings to Goodison Park will either flourish or cost him his job on Merseyside.
"Possibly," Allardyce said when asked about a move for Aubameyang in his press conference ahead of Everton's clash with Liverpool on Sunday (10 December). "But it's the hardest thing to recruit today, a centre-forward that scores goals. Is it the right type of centre-forward? It's the most expensive area of the pitch.
"[Oumar] Niasse has scored a few, Sandro [Ramirez] hasn't quite settled yet, there are people who score goals here but my signings have to be correct and the right ones for Everton and right for my future. If you make bad signings, you get the sack, if you make good ones, you become a better manager."
It remains to be seen if one of either Everton, Chelsea or Liverpool make a move Aubameyang in the January transfer window, but Allardyce's primary focus will be on his side's short trip to Anfield, where they haven't won since September 1999.