An official firmware, Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) with build number XXELL5, has been released for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number I9300. The Jelly Bean firmware is originally for Germany (Vodafone) users but is compatible with a number of European countries including the UK. The latest build brings a number of features.
a) Android 4.1.2-JZO54K
c) Page Buddy
d) Notification Panel
e) New Gallery app
f) Smart Rotation
g) Paper Artist app
h) Group Cast app
i) Brightness Slider in Notification Panel can be disabled
Galaxy S3 users who are looking to update their devices with Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices since the Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 firmware is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, and not with any other variants.
1) Download USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 and enable the USB Debugging mode.
2) Create back-up for all your important data.
3) Ensure your phone is factory unlocked.
4) Ensure the battery of the device carries more than 80 per cent of charge.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300
1) Download Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean for your Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract the firmware zip file
2) Download Odin 3.07 and extract the file
3) Turn off your Galaxy S3 and place it in Download Mode. To do so press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the phone screen. Wait for a few seconds, your phone will be in Download Mode
4) Run Odin on your computer
5) Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using the USB cable. You will get to see a message saying "Added" under Odin's message box in the bottom left. If the device is successfully connected, you should also see COM port with a number in Yellow
6) Select these files from I9300XXELL5 folder to flash on your phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the file named CODE
b) Click the phone button and select the file named MODEM
c) Click CSC button and select the file named CSC
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
[Note: You may ignore the last three steps in case such files are not found.]
7) Double check everything and finally hit the START button in Odin to begin the installation process
8) Once the installation process is completed, you should see a PASS message with green background in the extreme left box at the top of Odin. The phone will then automatically reboot and soon you will get to see the Samsung logo. You may safely unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from the computer
Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean official firmware is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software running on your device.
Those users who wish to root their Galaxy S3 running on Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean firmware may follow the tutorial below. The root method uses CF-Auto-Root package which only roots the device. In order to install custom ROMs users should have ClockworkMod Recovery installed separately.
Steps to root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean
1) Download CF-Auto-Root package for Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract the zip file
2) Download Odin v3.07 and extract the zip file
3) Switch off the Galaxy S3 and enter Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A warning screen will appear. Press the Volume Down button to enter into Download Mode
4) Run Odin on your computer. Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while the phone is in the Download Mode
5) In Odin click the PDA button and select the CF-Auto-Root-mo-moxx-gti9300.tar.md5 file
6) Finally click on the START button in Odin to begin the installation
7) After the installation process is completed, you will see a PASS message with green background in Odin. The phone will automatically reboot. Once you see the Samsung logo, you may safely disconnect the phone from the computer
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 running on Android 4.1.2 XXELL5 Jelly Bean is now successfully rooted. You may now install apps which require root permission.
[Source: Android Jinn]