Users of Sony's Xperia Z series smartphones are in for a treat, as the Japan-based technology giant has revealed that the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) update will be released only for that series.
Replying to a query posted by an Xperia smartphone user, Sony tweeted that the Android Lollipop will be officially rolled out only for the Xperia Z series handsets, and not for other Sony smartphones.
The smartphone maker also apologised to other Sony smartphones users, notably the Xperia E and Xperia M series, as these users would not receive the Android Lollipop update.
Sony's latest update adds meat to earlier reports that indicated an impending Android Lollipop launch for the entire Xperia Z smartphone family.
The Android 4.4.4 KitKat was the last OS update to have seeded to Xperia Z series smartphones.
Hence, Xperia Z users can check their devices if they have received a notification regarding the Android Lollipop OS update and could let us know about it in our comments section below.
Currently, the only non Xperia Z smartphone that runs the Google Android Lollipop operating platform straight out of the box is the Sony's Xperia M4 Aqua.
Enhancements that Xperia Z users can look forward to post the in Android Lollipop update
- Material Design: A colourful and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across devices.
- Notifications: View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications.
- Battery Saver feature: The new feature extends the device's battery life by up to 90 minutes.
- Enhanced security: Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or your car.
- Device Sharing: Multiple users for phones.
- New Quick Settings: Enables users to get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes at the top of the screen.
- Connectivity: Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity.
- Android TV: Support for television.
- OK Google: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.