After months of waiting and making do with partial solutions, an untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1 has finally been released.
The iOS hackers known as Green Pois0n have released an application called Absinthe, which can jailbreak the iPhone 4S and iPad 2; below is a tutorial of how to jailbreak your device.
Firstly, the International Business Times UK would like to point out that jailbreaking an Apple device can potentially cause irreparable damage if carried out incorrectly, and will certainly void your Apple warranty.
However, jailbreaking is legal and enables any iOS device to run applications not authorised by Apple and lets users change the appearance and user interface of their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
1) Ensure that your Mac or PC is running the most up-to-date version of its operating system and restart your computer.
3) On your iOS device go to Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock, and turn passcode off. This can be turned back on once the jailbreak is complete.
4) Plug your iOS device into the computer and perform a full backup in iTunes.
5) Open Absinthe with your device still plugged in and a dialogue box will appear on your computer.
6) Click "Jailbreak."
7) Unplug your iOS device from the computer and open the Absinthe app, which has now appeared on the home screen (or on the first page where there is space). A black screen will appear and then your device will reboot; it is now jailbroken.
A known error in Absinthe has caused some users' devices to produce a white screen when launching the app, with a message stating: "Error establishing a database connection". If this happens, go to Settings -> General -> Network -> VPN, and turn VPN on. This will produce a VPN error and the device will reboot.
Once rebooted, the device will now be jailbroken successfully.
A SIM unlock - which would allow the device to work on any mobile network - has not yet been released, so if any users require a SIM unlock for their iPhone 4S or iPad 2, they are urged by hackers to stick with iOS 5.0 and wait for an announcement.