Google's Nexus 7 has been one of the most desirable gadgets of the year, with due credit to its powerful hardware configuration that is ably supported with the latest Android operating system, Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. Discerning users who are looking for a break from the regular stock firmware, can now download and install custom ROM based Jelly Bean update using Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM.
The latest Slim Bean ROM offers high-level of customisation capability over stock ROM, besides including a plethora of exciting features onboard such as multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature and miracast display.
NOTE: Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM is reportedly still under development and hence may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. These issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates. The Slim Bean ROM is known to deliver faster performance in a tiny package.
Slim Bean Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Beta 1 Features
- Dotted Battery Mod and color picker
- Battery bar mod
- Notification Background customization
- Notification row transparency
- Quick Settings for
- Network mode tile
- Profile Tile
- Dismiss on toggle
- Updated APN + SPN
- Wifi name in notification drawer
- Power widget
- Device Parts
- Performance Settings (need to tap build number a few times)
- Cursor control using volume keys
- Disable full screen keyboard
- Alternate app chooser
- Clock styles and color chooser
- ADB over wifi
- Camera power shutter mod
- Wifi country specific settings
- Notification IME selector
- SMS quick reply & mark as read from notification
- All MMS features
- All Contacts features
The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if you damage or brick your device during or after Slim Bean ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Slim Bean ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Google Nexus 7 tablet only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Android 4.2.1 Slim Bean ROM on the Nexus tablet.
- Verify that your tablet has at least 80 percent battery power to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update on the Nexus 7.
- Make sure that the correct USB drivers are installed for Asus Google Nexus 7 on your computer (download USB drivers here)
- Ensure that your Nexus 7 bootloader is unlocked and the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your tablet by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development
Download Android 4.2.1 Slim Bean Beta 1 Jelly Bean ROM for Asus Google Nexus 7
Download Google Apps (GApps)
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Nexus 7 with Slim Bean ROM
1. Connect your Nexus tablet to the computer with original USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card. Important: Do not extract any files.
3. Disconnect USB cable from the computer and switch off your tablet.
4. Boot into CWM Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the display powers on. The device will now boot into recovery mode. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in Recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can restored later if something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and hit Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
6. Perform a full data wipe. To do so, choose wipe data/factory reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until data wipe process completes.
7. Choose Install zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Now, navigate to the Slim Bean ROM zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once ROM is installed, repeat step 7 but select Slim_Gapps.zip instead of ROM zip to install the Google Apps package.
9. Once GApps is installed, return to main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Now to reboot the tablet into customised Android 4.2.1 Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM. The first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
10. Restoring Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, Choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware based Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM is now installed and running on your Google Nexus 7.
[Source: Android Jinn]