The United States has condemned the actions of the Turkish President's security detail after they launched a violent attack on unarmed protesters in Washington DC.

It followed a meeting between Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and US President Donald Trump in the Capitol, where anti-government and pro-Kurdish protesters voiced their discontent with the Turkish leader.

The demonstration started peacefully, but quickly turned violent when Erdoğan's guards broke rank to attack the protesters.

Following the attack, the US State Department issued a statement which criticised their actions.

"We are communicating our concern to the Turkish government in the strongest possible terms," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.

Videos of the incident, which surfaced on social media, showed men in dark suits chase down protesters and kick them to the ground while police tried to intervene.

A total of 11 people were injured while two people were arrested for assault. A number of lawmakers called for criminal charges to be brought.

Ed Joyce, the Republican chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, wrote to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson: "To send a clear message that these acts of violence will not be tolerated, I ask that you immediately look into this matter and bring all appropriate criminal charges before these individuals leave the United States.

"Agents of foreign governments should never be immune from prosecution for felonious behaviour. Above all else, they should never be permitted to violate the protections afforded by the First Amendment of the US Constitution."

Washington DC Mayor Muriel Bowser said she was working with Peter Newsham, chief of Metropolitan Police Department, to see what charges can be brought.

What we saw yesterday – a violent attack on a peaceful demonstration – is an affront to DC values and our rights as Americans," she said.

"I strongly condemn these actions and have been briefed by Chief Newsham on our response.

"The Metropolitan Police Department will continue investigating the incident and will work with federal partners to ensure justice is served."