Owners of Samsung Galaxy Note 3 high-end smartphones, who have signed up for Verizon's wireless network service in the US, can now check out for the much expected Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update which has begun a phased rollout across the country.
Verizon has officially announced the Lollipop firmware update, and has stated that its Galaxy Note 3 users can check out for the OS upgrade software bearing version number LRX21V.N900VVRUEOB6.
Android Lollipop rollouts (via OTA) to older smartphones in the US, are generally phased ones which mean that the update will take a while before it covers all users across the country.
New features and enhancements
- Material Design UI: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- "OK Google" voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. The Android Smart Lock secures your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
Download and installation of Android Lollipop OS update on Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
The latest Android Lollipop OS update will be available automatically via OTA to Galaxy Note 3 smartphones on Verizon, but the firmware upgrade can also be manually searched for and downloaded/installed.
To manually search for Android Lollipop, users can follow the steps given below, while ensuring their smartphones are connected to Wi-Fi and have at least 50% battery charge.
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software Updates > Check for Updates.
- Select Download Now.
- When download is complete, a screen appears indicating that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Tap Install Now.
- Your Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will automatically power off and power back on.
- A new on-screen menu appears stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.