It's now Sony's large screen, Xperia Z Ultra's turn to get some Android Lollipop dessert treatment. Recognised XDA contributor, Saatvik has shared an Android Open Source Project (AOSP) build for Xperia Z Ultra featuring the newest version of Android 5.0. Below are the working features and bugs in this AOSP build.
- ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Status: Beta
- Created: 14 November
- Incoming Calls
- Mic from Headset (without headset mic wont work)
- Ambient light sensor
- RIL (partially)
- Gravity sensor (auto rotate)
- Outgoing calls
- Mobile Data
- Video playback
- Signal indicator is broken when connected to LTE
If you are curious to try out the early AOSP build based on Android 5.0 on your Xperia Z Ultra, check out the installation guide below.
Points to remember
- As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup using custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigating to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB debugging]
- The Xperia Z Ultra should have above 80% of battery charge to avoid unusual shut down due to lack of battery, which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of recovery installed.
- The unofficial AOSP Android 5.0 works only with Xperia Z Ultra. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the smartphone by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- The bootloader of Xperia Z Ultra should be unlocked.
- As the AOSP ROM is still in beta versions, bugs are highly likely with the installation of the ROM.
- IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP ROM on Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Step-1: Downloading the AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop files, you should get the following files
Step-2: Extract the fastboot and adb files to a separate folder on the computer
Step-3: Move the aforementioned three files to the same folder
Step-4: Boot the Xperia Z Ultra into fastboot mode
- For this first switch off the phone
- Press and hold Volume Up button
- Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while holding the Volume Down button
- Xperia Z Ultra should be in Fastboot mode and the device's LED light should turn purple
Step-5: Open the folder where all the fastboot and AOSP Rom files are saved. Open a command window inside the folder. Press Shift + Right Click somewhere inside an empty space in the folder and select Open command window from the drop down menu
Step-6: Execute the following commands orderly to install Android 5.0 on the phone
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
- fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
Note that flashing user data will wipe all data, including the internal sdcard.
Step-7: Once the installation is completed, reboot Xperia Z Ultra by typing in the following command
- fastboot reboot
How to flash Gapps on Xperia Z Ultra
Step-1: Reboot Z Ultra to Fastboot mode
Step-2: Flash any kernel that has recovery
Step-3: Reboot the phone into recovery
Step-4: Flash Gapps (You may update SuperSU if you want to)
Step-5: Reboot the phone after Gapps file is installed
Now you should be able to enjoy the Android 5.0 AOSP build on your Xperia Z Ultra.