The CyanogenMod (CM) team has recently started rolling out a bunch of CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly ROM builds for the OnePlus One (aka bacon), which can be installed on top of existing CM12 ROM.
Users should note that all third-party add-ons such as Google Apps (Gapps) should be installed manually after verifying the Gapps version compatibility with Lollipop firmware.
The Android 5.1 CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM can be installed either via TWRP or ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, using the step-by-step guide posted below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the European variant of OnePlus One (aka bacon) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download OnePlus One USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on OnePlus One (aka bacon) via CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 5.1 CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM for OnePlus One on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CM12.1 Nightly ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12.1 Nightly ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your OnePlus One is now running the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.