Angelina Jolie is "relieved" that the child abuse probe against Brad Pitt has finally concluded. The Original Sin actress is hopeful that their children will start to "heal" with the help of guidelines put in place by the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS).
The Allied star was cleared of the child abuse allegations on Wednesday, following which her representative issued a statement saying Jolie "felt she had to take action for the health of the family".
"The job of the DCFS is to make sure the children are in a safe and secure situation. As we said earlier this week, childcare professionals encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides that was in the best interest of the children," the statement said. (Via Entertainment Tonight)
"Angelina said from the beginning that she felt she had to take action for the health of the family and is relieved that after their 8-week involvement, the DCFS is now satisfied the safeguards are put in place that will allow the children to heal."
The DCFS had launched a child abuse probe against the 52-year-old actor in late September after an alleged incident involving Pitt and son Maddox on a private jet as they travelled back from France to the US the same month. At the time, a source had told E! News that Pitt "did not commit any abuse of his children" and was "cooperating fully" in the best interest of his six children.
The former couple have reached a temporary arrangement, wherein Jolie will continue to have physical custody of their children, while Pitt will be allowed "therapeutic visits".
Joile filed for divorce from Pitt on 19 September, citing irreconcilable differences. The duo got married after meeting on the sets of their movie Mr and Mrs Smith in 2005. The two share six children – Maddox, 15, Pax, 12, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.