A Chicago man has been arrested for allegedly murdering his father, smashing his skull and then cutting off his penis before posting selfies on Facebook. Carlton Edmondson appeared in court on Tuesday, 28 November, for a bond hearing after being charged with the heinous crime.

The 26-year-old was arrested on Saturday, 25 November, after police went over to his father's house to check on him, but found his brutally battered body instead. Officials said that Carl Edmondson's body was mutilated, with his head bashed in and brain matter splattered on the floor and walls of the basement.

According to local media reports, 61-year-old Carl had sought an order of protection against his son twice in 2017 – one in August and again in October – as his son was reportedly very violent towards him. Five days before his murder, Carlton was served with a court order banning him from coming near his father.

However, police officers went to check on the elderly man on the weekend after Carlton's uncle reported that he had seen him inside the victim's house and knew that he was not supposed to be there.

Assistant State's Attorney Julia Ramirez said during the bond hearing that when the officers asked Carlton about his father, the accused said he was "at the hospital". But after they entered the house, they found the body beside a Bowie knife, circular saw, and a "concrete capstone", the Chicago Sun Times reported.

Police said the corpse was covered in deep lacerations and reeked of gasoline. They added that the suspect had also posted his selfies on Facebook after committing the crime. In the pictures on his social media page, he is seen wearing a black-and-white jacket covered in what appears to be blood.

Carlton also updated his status later that day, writing, "EyEm OAWn mA pEriOd #beebop #silenceofthelambs #gdshit #chevezwhatupfolkz'; 'and they say I'm crazy #gdcochroach #iaintbudgeawierdo' nd 'EyE sIlEnCed thE LahmeDs."

In another bizzare post, the self-described producer and singer-songwriter requested a payment of $15m (£11m) "f4 tHE d***", which probably referred to a demand for money in exchange for his father's mutilated penis.

During Tuesday's hearing, Carlton showed no regret over what he had done and allegedly went on a rant, prompting Judge Stephanie Miller to order him out of the courtroom before she ruled that he be held without bond.

He also yelled "not guilty" and when attorney Ramirez was describing the charges against him, a single count of first-degree murder and pending charges for violating the order of protection, Carlton shouted while smiling, "The order of protection is gone. He is no longer living."