West Ham United's survival hopes have been given fresh encouragement after David Moyes was promised at least three new signings in the January transfer window by the club's hierarchy.

The Hammers celebrated the first win of Moyes' tenure when they beat Premier League champions Chelsea to go within goal difference of climbing out of the bottom three.

Marko Arnautovic netted an early goal to hand Moyes his maiden West Ham victory at the fifth time of asking, giving the club renewed hope they can beat the drop to the Championship.

David Gold has previously stated that Moyes will be supported in the transfer window which opens on 1 January, though the Scot has preferred to focus on his current squad.

But Sullivan has backed up those claims and says new additions will be supplemented by a host of players preparing to return from injury.

"David is still weighing up the areas we are short in but you can be rest assured two or three players will be brought in to improve the team," he wrote in his pre-match programme notes before the visit of Arsenal on Wednesday (13 December) "Before then, we have players available again after injury, with more set to return soon, too, so there is competition for places."

Defenders Jose Fonte and Sam Byram and strikers Andy Carroll and Javier Hernandez are all currently out and will miss the visit of Arsenal. Cheikhou Kouyate has returned to training, however, while James Collins is nearing fitness.

It remains to be seen, however, what role Sullivan will have in West Ham's recruitment drive in January, after he revealed his children had attempted to influence the club's dealings last January.

Fonte and Robert Snodgrass both arrived in the mid-season window but according to Sullivan he was "begged" not to sign the pair, despite then manager Slaven Bilic identifying them as targets.

"I'm very involved with physically bringing in the players," Sullivan told The Guardian. "I'm not involved in the strategy. The manager says he wants Fonte from Southampton and Snodgrass from Hull. My kids begged me not to sign them."

Any strengthening West Ham could do in January may start with the arrival of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has been offered to the East London outfit.

The Serbia international hasn't made a Premier League start for Newcastle United this season and has fallen down the pecking order behind the likes of Dwight Gayle and Joselu.

Any interest in Mitrovic is likely to be ratcheted up should Diafra Sakho leave for Cardiff City in January. The current Championship runners-up are lining up a move for the Senegal forward that would be worth around £12m, and his exit would leave West Ham short of attacking options.

David Sullivan and David Gold
Sullivan [left] says Moyes will be back to improve the West Ham squad next summer. Getty Images