Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez says that the dressing room is "calm" about Lionel Messi's long-term future at the Nou Camp and hope the Argentine will eventually put pen to paper on his proposed new deal.

On 5 July, the Catalans announced an agreement with the five-time Ballon d'Or winner to commit his future to the Nou Camp club until 2021.

However, the 30-year-old forward is yet to sign the deal more than four months later amid suggestions that his relationship with the club board is strained.

Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu has reiterated that Messi's father has already signed the deal on behalf of his son and the club are merely waiting for the right time to make an official announcement with the player.

Other sources have suggested that Messi could be free to negotiate a move away from Barcelona from January as the new deal is not yet agreed and the previous one was set to set to expire in the summer.

Ivan Rakitic added fuel to the saga earlier this week after claiming that he "can't say 100%" if Messi will stay at Barcelona beyond the end of this season.

However, Suarez is more optimistic when asked about the feelings of the dressing room regarding Messi's new deal during an event held on Thursday (23 November) to promote a march against cancer.

"There is a sense of calm [in the dressing room] because we don't even speak about this things. Leo has been his whole life at Barcelona and Barcelona is his lifelong club. We hope he stay with us to keep enjoying him," Suarez said as reported by Marca.

Ernesto Valverde's side had a preview of life without Messi on Wednesday [22 November] night after he was surprisingly benched for the 0-0 draw at Juventus.

Suarez believes that Messi's absence against the Serie A side is a mere coincerdence and expects the Argentina international to stay at Barcelona for the long-term.

"When Leo does not play is a surprise to everyone but yesterday we were able to play a good first half even without him. That proves that the squad has a great level," Suarez insisted. "Regarding his contract renewal I think he'll be here for a long time. Tomorrow he will be training with us and on Sunday he will also be playing with us [against Valencia]."

Elsewhere, the former Manchester City academy starlet also addressed the potential arrival of new players ahead of the January transfer window.

Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho continues to be linked with Barcelona while in recent days it has emerged that the club are also considering Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil as a cheaper alternative.

Suarez says that any signings would be "welcomed" but joked about the latest batch of transfer rumours.

"Since I arrived here there have been many rumours about players who are coming. If every name linked with were to come, we would have 60 or 70 players in the squad. Whoever comes would be welcome but the squad we already have is good. We are proving it," Suarez said with Barcelona having enjoyed an impressive start to the season both in La Liga and the Champions League.

"We are top of LaLiga and four points above second place. We've sealed our qualification in the Champions League and our Copa del Rey tie [against Murcia] is on the right track. It has been a good start to the season."

Suarez has only served as a back-up for Valverde in the opening part of the season and his playing time could be further restricted if the likes of Coutinho or Ozil arrive.

However, the former Villarreal star insists that he remains happy at the Nou Camp. "I am happy to be at Barcelona. It is true that as a player I would like play more but I am happy with the way I've performed when I've played," the Spaniard added.