Samsung recently rolled out an Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA update, with base firmware XXLT6, to the international version of the first Galaxy Note (GT-N7000). The new official build is an unbranded firmware version and can be installed on any GT-N7000 unit, except those from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- PDA: N7000XXLT6
- CSC: N7000XSALS8
- Version: Android 4.1.2
- Built date: May, 2013
Galaxy Note users who have already installed Android 4.1.2 XXLT6 Jelly Bean on their handsets and wish to root the same may follow our step-by-step guide. The tutorial uses CWM file released by recognised XDA developer, Phil3759.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their handsets meet following requirements.
1) Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy Note to transfer files between the phone and the computer
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it [Press Menu > Settings > Applications. From there navigate and click on Development and ensure USB Debugging Mode is turned on]
3) As this tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up. If the phone has custom recoveries like CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery
4) The Galaxy Note should have above 80% battery charge
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier
6) Manufacturer's warranty will be void once the Galaxy Note is rooted. However, users can reclaim the warranty by unrooting device. Click here for a step-by-step guide to unroot Galaxy Note to stock official firmware.
7) The root package is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running on Android 4.1.2 XXLT6 Jelly Bean. Applying this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings > About Phone > Model Number.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 on Android 4.1.2 XXLT6 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download PhilZ-cwm6-XXLT6-XSA-5.06.1.tar.md5 for Samsung Galaxy Note to the computer
Step-2: Download Odin 3.07 which will help to install the root package on the phone. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file with some other files
Step-3: Place the Galaxy Note into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot appears on the phone's screen. Now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-4: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-5: Connect the Note to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the phone. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by a message saying Added in Odin.
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another US port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to detect the device then re-install USB driver
Step-6: In Odin, click the PDA button and select the PhilZ-cwm6-XXLT6-XSA-5.06.1.tar.md5 file
Step-7: Now configure the Odin settings. Ensure that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. As for the Re-Partition, uncheck the option
Step-8: Once everything is set, click the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-9: When the installation process is completed the phone will restart automatically. And soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the Odin indicating successful installation. After the home screen appears on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the device to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Note running on Android 4.1.2 XXLT6 Jelly Bean official firmware should be now rooted successfully. To ensure the aforementioned root method is installed and is working properly, download Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Click here for guide to root Galaxy Note GT-N7000 on XXLT9 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean