The international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) has received a new Android 4.3 firmware update with build number I9300XXUGNG3. The latest stock firmware is a maintenance build with bug fixes and other performance enhancements. The firmware is currently live for users in Germany via OTA and Samsung Kies.
Model name: Samsung Galaxy S3
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: 16 July
Product code: DBT
Interested users, who failed to update their devices using both official methods for being region specific and looking for a manual installation method, may follow the tutorial.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
- Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
- The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- I9300XXUGNG3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
How to install I9300XXUGNG3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S3
Step-4: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together. A construction Android robot and a triangle should appear. Now press the Power button to enter Download mode
Note: Ensure that you have installed Galaxy S3 USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension, extracted in step-1
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy S3 should now have been updated with I9300XXUGNG3 Android 4.3 stock firmware. Navigate to Settings>>About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the handset.
[Source: Team Android]