Samsung has started rolling out the latest Over-The-Air (OTA) update for Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE (GT-N5120) owners in the UK via Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 Jelly Bean firmware. The official firmware is also available for download through Samsung KIES and can be installed manually via ODIN flash tool.
Those who missed the OTA update notification or are unable to install the firmware via Samsung KIES, can download and install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide.
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed with caution and follow the instructions carefully.
Version: Android 4.2.2
Built date: Jul 25, 2013
Regions: United Kingdom
- Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 Jelly Bean firmware and the instructions are meant for the Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) GT-N5120 model only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on another variant or device, as it may inadvertently hard-brick or damage the device. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP
- Verify appropriate USB drivers are installed for the device on computer (download Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- Ensure both device and its bootloader is unlocked.
- After firmware installation, if device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using the device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Update Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) N5120 with Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 Jelly Bean OTA Firmware
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the computer desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy Note 8.0 to computer via USB cable, while the tablet is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn blue with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted N5120XXCMG7 firmware folder obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin flashing firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the tablet will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy Note 8.0 (LTE) GT-N5120 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 XXCMG7 Jelly Bean OTA update. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
If the tablet is stuck at boot animation or the Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Honai of Android]