Recently, a spate of Android devices have been bestowed the privilege of enjoying the latest Android 4.2.2 custom firmware, with due credit to the release of Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Build 4 custom ROM. Though the ROM does not include any major feature changes, it brings a bloatware free pure Android experience, as it is custom built out of original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release.
NOTE: As the AOKP ROM is based on the newly released Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware which is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. However, all such issues are expected to be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 4 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100G model only. It will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S2 on your computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers)
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or going to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select the Build Number
- Now, tap Build Number for seven times to unlock or reveal the Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed on it.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for about 5 minutes before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
1. Connect the phone to the computer with original USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect the phone's USB cable from computer and then Power off the phone.
4. Now, press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the device boots into CWM recovery. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the phone's current ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Now, perform full data wipe task. To do so, click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now, return to CWM recovery main menu. Then hit Wipe Cache Partition and once wiping process is done, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse and select the AOKP Build 4 ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM installation completes, repeat the step 7 but choose the gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and click Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 custom ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
10. Restoring Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by choosing it from the list.
Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 4 Jelly Bean ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
[Source: Android Jinn]