The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update with build number XXUBMG8 has started rolling out for the NFC variant of Galaxy S2 Plus, codenamed GT-I9105P, which runs Android v4.1.2 out of box. The new build is available in Germany and is expected to reach other regions soon.
The software upgrade brings several improvements and new features for the Galaxy S2 Plus. It is available as Over-The-Air (OTA) update and through Samsung KIES.
Android version: 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
Build date: 24 July, 2013
Click here for our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 Plus.
Those who have already installed Android 4.2.2 and are currently looking for a root method may follow our guide. Along with rooting the device, the tutorial installs ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. The CWM recovery file and the root method are shared by senior XDA member, OurJerry. Head over to the development page to know more about the recovery release.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the Galaxydevice, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup the data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose its manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. However, users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the device later.
7) The root file and the CWM touch recovery file works only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105P. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by selecting Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to root Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105P on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery
Step-1: Download CWM Touch recovery for Galaxy S2 Plus to the computer
File name: Jerry_recovery.tar.md5
Step-2: Download SuperUser root package
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip
Step-3: Copy the downloaded SuperUser root package to the internal storage of the phone
Step-4: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file within it
Step-5: Switch off the phone and wait for some time for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-6: Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together. A construction Android robot icon with a triangle will appear on the phone's screen. Press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-7: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe on the computer by double clicking on it
Step-8: Connect the Galaxy S2 Plus to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-9: In Odin, click the PDA button and select Jerry_recovery.tar.md5 file
Note: Remove extension .md5 from the file if you face difficulty to add the recovery file.
Step-10: Ensure the Re-Partition and F.Reset Time checkboxes not are selected in Odin. But check the Auto-Reboot option
Step-11: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation process
Step-12: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Also, a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the top of Odin, indicating successful installation. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Step-13: Power off the phone again. Boot the device into CWM recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Note: In recovery mode use the Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-14: In recovery mode, select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip which was earlier copied to the internal storage of the phone. Select it and confirm installation by selecting Yes
Step-15: When the installation is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
As the Galaxy S2 Plus boots up, it should be rooted successfully on Android 4.2.2 with CWM recovery installed. To verify the root status of the phone, install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: Android Teen]