Samsung has recently released its latest Android 4.3 XXUEMJ5 official firmware for Galaxy S4 I9500 and I9505 models. Nevertheless, those who want to get the latest stock Android experience with advanced Jelly Bean custom features and tweaks may want to install the new Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Nightly ROM based on Android 4.3.1.
The installation of this custom ROM requires ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery to be pre-installed and the device rooted. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP Nightly ROM and instructions provided in this guide are meant for Galaxy S4 LTE GT-I9505 model only. Do not attempt installing the firmware on any other model, as you might end up bricking the device.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or TWRP installed on it.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone via one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap Build number seven times to unlock or reveal hidden Developer Options. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognize your phone after installing this ROM, as it is a custom ROM.
How to Update Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to Android 4.3.1 Jelly Bean with AOKP Nightly ROM
- Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable and copy the downloaded AOKP Nightly ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone, disconnect its USB cable and boot it into Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Home buttons together and then simultaneously tap the Power button until the green robot icon with a triangle appears on the screen. This confirms entry into Recovery mode.
- Before flashing the new ROM do the following steps in CWM recovery:
> wipe data/factory reset
> wipe cache partition
> go to "advanced" and perform wipe dalvik cache
> go to "mounts and storage" and format system
- In CWM recovery, click Install Zip from SD card and select the ROM zip file copied earlier to the phone's SD card (repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well). After selecting the ROM file, allow the ROM to be installed on the device. This process may take about five minutes to complete.
- After the device is updated, hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed ROM.
Android 4.3.1 based AOKP Nightly ROM is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]