XDA forum member naeroki-bi has developed a ROM, based on CyanogenMod 12 along with features from Xperia Z3 for the Galaxy S3 (I9300) model.
Besides, you get Sony's bootanimation, Gallery, Camera and the new Xperia Z4 theme in this custom firmware. As for the Android version, the ROM features Lollipop version 5.1.1 with build LMY48G.
Check out the following list to know more about the Xperia Z3 ROM, basic features and changes added in each build.
- ROM OS version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM firmware required: 4.3+
- Based on: Cyanogenmod 12.1
- Status: Beta
- Current beta: V2
- Release date: 13 July
- CyanogenMod 12 features
- CyanogenMod 12 optimisations
- Sony bootanimation
- All Sony (f.e Gallery, Camera)
- New Z4 theme (Choose manual in theme)
Changelog Beta v2
- Some app from Bkav Bphone
- Increased earpiece volume slightly, as it was barely heard outdoor
- Fixed SELinux derps introduced in B10 (sysfs denials)
- Fixed more SELinux denials related to recently changed parts (open-source sensors & bluetooth)
- KERNEL: Fixed dm-crypt not accepting discard requests which resulted in failed encryption (CM10.2 regression)
- Updated sources
- Fixed (compass) and reintroduced open-source sensors
- Misc SELinux updates
- Misc hwcomposer fixes and improvements
- Updated sources
- Android 5.1.1 revision 6 (LMY48G)
If you are looking for a manual installation guide to update your Galaxy S3 with Xperia Z3 ROM featuring Android 5.1.1, check out the guide below.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device
Points to remember
- Before following the installation guide, create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- The Galaxy S3 should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery system installed on it.
- As the Android 5.1.1 Xperia Z3 ROM is in development stage, bugs are highly likely.
- The Xperia Z3 ROM works only with Galaxy S3 I9300. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experiences boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to update Galaxy S3 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Xperia Z3 ROM
Step-1: Without extracting, copy the downloaded file your phone's internal storage and remember the location. Note that the files should be in the SD card root, not inside any folder
Step-2: Boot the phone into recovery mode. Switch off the phone. Then press Power + Home + Volume Up buttons together until the recovery logo appears on the screen
Step-3: In recovery mode, create a backup of the current ROM. Go to the main recovery menu and select Backup and Restore then select Backup again
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset
Step-5: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache to avoid boot loop or any other errors. From recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard then choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to custom ROM, which was earlier copied to the phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-8: Repeat the similar process to install Gapps
Step-9: When the installation process is completed, return to the recovery screen and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
Once your Galaxy S3 boots up successfully, go to Settings>> About phone and check the new Android Lollipop version.