Microsoft has finally rolled out Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for compatible Windows Phone 8.1 devices through an over-the-air update. Most of the devices in the list were already confirmed by Microsoft. To get the upgrade, the devices should have at least 8GB memory.
Windows 10 Mobile compatible devices
- Lumia 1520
- Lumia 930
- Lumia 640
- Lumia 640XL
- Lumia 730
- Lumia 735
- Lumia 830
- Lumia 532
- Lumia 535
- Lumia 540
- Lumia 635 1GB
- Lumia 636 1GB
- Lumia 638 1GB
- Lumia 430
- Lumia 435
- BLU Win HD w510u
- BLU Win HD LTE x150q
- MCJ Madosma Q501
If you own any of the above Windows Phone 8.1 devices, head over to Windows Store to install the Upgrade Advisor app, launch it and see if the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade is available, before selecting Enable Windows 10 upgrade. To install the upgrade check out the following steps.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 80% battery charge. Alternatively, you can connect your phone to the charger to make sure it does not run out of charge
- Connect your phone to a stable Wi-Fi network
- It is recommended you create a backup of your phone's settings, apps, photos and messages to the cloud before you go ahead with the update. To create a backup go to Start, swipe over to the All apps list, select Settings>> Backup and then follow the on screen instructions.
- Ensure that you have enough space on your device to install the update. Use Upgrade Advisor app that will recommend files such as videos or photos that you can move to OneDrive or an SD card. Alternatively, connect your phone to a PC and move the files.
- Note that if you remove any app, you can always reinstall them from the Windows Store after the upgrade if you have space. Deleting an app will erase data of the app.
How to install Windows 10 Mobile upgrade on your Windows phone 8.1 device
When an update to Windows 10 Mobile is available, head over to the Start menu, swipe over the All apps list then select Setting>> Phone update and install the update. You may choose to install the update immediately or postpone it for a more convenient time.
To check if the update is available head over to Settings>> Phone update>> Check for updates. Ensure the check boxes for Tell Me When Updates Are Available For My Phone and Automatically Download Updates if Data Settings Allow It options are selected.
If your Windows Phone 8.1 device is running on OS version 8.10.14219.341 or higher, you can schedule to install the update later. From Start, swipe over to the All apps list then select Settings>> Phone update>> Preferred install time.
The upgrade might take an hour or longer than that, depending on the model of your Windows Phone 8.1 device and the apps installed. You will not be able to use the phone during the installation.
Once the upgrade is over, give the device some time for migrating of data and apps. You might not see apps tile or may not be able to open them. Keep the device plugged in to a charger and connect to Wi-Fi and wait for the apps to finish updating. In case an app tile is missing from Start, check the App list for the app and you can pin to Start, or even go to the Windows App Store to see if a new version of the app is available.