Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the US celebrated to remember the war heroes of the country who died while serving the country on the battlefield. Celebrated on the last Monday of May, people remember the men and women of the US armed forces who sacrificed their lives to serve the country. This year, the federal holiday falls on 30 May.
To commemorate the day, many people visit cemeteries and memorials to honour the fallen heroes and place US flags on their graves. IBTimes UK has compiled top quotes to remember the brave soldiers who have sacrificed their lives to safeguard the nation.
1. My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - John F. Kennedy
2. In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King, Jr
3. Memorial Day isn't just about honoring veterans, its honoring those who lost their lives. Veterans had the fortune of coming home. For us, that's a reminder of when we come home we still have a responsibility to serve. It's a continuation of service that honors our country and those who fell defending it. - Pete Hegseth
4. These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation who has a long history of patriotism and honor — and a nation who has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror. - Michael N. Castle
5. The patriot's blood is the seed of Freedom's tree. - Thomas Campbell
6. Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - John F. Kennedy
7. If we love our country, we should also love our countrymen. - Ronald Reagan
8. I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. - Nathan Hale
9. A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. - Joseph Campbell
10. On thy grave the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation! – Thomas William Parsons