Rod Stewart will bring the Isle Of Wight Festival 2017 to a close next summer as the iconic singer has been confirmed as its latest headliner. The announcement comes days after the Maggie May singer was forced to cancel two dates on his current arena tour due to a throat infection.
The 71-year-old will grace Isle Of Wight's main stage on Sunday 11 June at Seaclose Park, Newport, and joins previously confirmed Canadian rockers Arcade Fire on the lineup. Earlybird and day tickets are on sale and available to purchase from Ticketmaster.
Sharing his excitement for the upcoming performance, Stewart said in a statement: "I have been very lucky to have played many of the world's finest venues and festivals – but never played the legendary IOW Festival. I am so excited to put that right. June can't come round soon enough."
Isle Of Wight festival promoter John Giddings added: "I've wanted Rod Stewart to play at the festival for a number of years – he's an incredible icon with a career that's spanned over five decades so it's impossible to not be a fan. On Sunday night he'll bring an incredible energy to create an unforgettable moment."
It will be the only UK festival performance in 2017 for Stewart, who is best known for the hit songs Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, Maggie May, Baby Jane, The First Cut Is The Deepest and I Don't Want To Talk About It, and has sold over 200 million records throughout his career. Stewart is currently in the midst of his sold out From Gasoline Alley to Another Country Hits tour in the UK but cancelled several dates, including two nights at London's O2 Arena, to recover from a throat infection.
After the tour promoter announced the cancelled dates, Stewart told fans via Twitter: "Got bloody bad luck & strep throat... Sorry for all the inconvenience guys. Gutted. Sir Rod xxx." The tour is expected to resume at Sheffield Arena on 29 November.
Arcade Fire will headline Isle Of Wight 2017 on Saturday 10 June while the Friday night headline act is yet to be announced.