After a month long wait, LG's flagship smartphone, the Optimus 4X HD, finally gets the root access, thanks to XDA senior member - alexp99. It is a rare scenario that a flagship product had to wait so long for a root access.
Once your phone is rooted you will gain access to using third-party apps and tweaks, besides super-user access to system files on your phone.
Key Points to Note
- It must be noted that rooting your device may void its warranty, as is the case with installing any mods and hack tools.
- The software and instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the LG Optimus 4X HD model and may produce undesired results or even damage the device if tried on any other model.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup critical data on their phone (Bookmarks, contacts, SMS and APNs) before proceeding with the rooting process. This will help you restore your phone back to earlier settings, if you encounter any issues after rooting.
- LGUnitedMobileDriver_Ver_3.7.2_LG-P880_LGO4XHD.zip-[Click for QR Code]
- o4xr.zip-[Click for QR Code]
- IS11LG_SystemBackupTest.signed.apk-[Click for QR Code]
How to Root LG Optimus 4X HD [GUIDE]
1. Download, Unzip and Install the USB drivers for your LG smartphone
2. Next, download and extract the Root kit (o4xr.zip) to "C:o4xr"
3. Download and copy IS11LG_SystemBackupTest.signed.apk to your phone
4. On your phone, go to Settings > Security and ensure Unknown Sources is TICKED
5. Navigate to Settings > Developer options. Now, make sure USB debugging is TICKED
6. Download and install the OI file manager from the Google Play Store. Then browse for the downloaded IS11LG_SystemBackupTest.signed.apk file on the phone and tap it to install an app called SystemBackupTest.
7. Launch "SystemBackupTest" app you just installed.
8. Now, hold the power button and select "power off and restart". This will restart your phone and brings up the lock screen.
9. When you can see the lock screen, you may notice that the phone is running very slowly, this is normal.
10. Connect your phone via USB to your computer and wait until the appropriate drivers are installed.
11. Open a command prompt ( requires admin privileges, right-click and choose run as administrator)
12. Now, type "cd C:o4xr" without quotes and press enter.
13. Type without quotes "root" and press enter.
14. Wait while the script runs, and the phone will reboot automatically.
15. You should now see the command prompt "C:o4xr>".
16. On your phone, launch Google Play Store and search for SuperSU.
17. Install the SuperSU app, which will grant you root access to the phone.
18. Now, launch SuperSU from the apps menu.
19. Press OK to update the SU binary. Once the binary is updated, you can close SuperSU.
20. You now have root access and can safely uninstall the SystemBackupTest app (from settings > app). You can restore the Unknown Sources and USB debugging settings back to original whenever you need.
Your LG Optimus 4X HD is now successfully rooted and any root-enabled third-party app can be given root access by pressing the grant button when prompted.
[Source: XDA Developers]