With just two weeks left for the highly-anticipated launch of Samsung's Galaxy S5, renowned Android developer Chainfire has released the rooting tool for the new flagship smartphone.
According to XDA, the international variant of Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) can now be rooted via CF-Auto-Root tool, which enables the user to retain settings and looks close to stock firmware.
CF-Auto-Root can be flashed via PDA in Odin when the phone is in download mode. The package includes SuperSU binary with APK, as well as stock recovery.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after root installation process. Users should note that rooting the phone will increase its flash counter and trip the KNOX warranty flag and thereby void its hardware warranty. So, users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
5. Verify Galaxy S5 has at least 80 percent battery charge.
6. The Android CF-Auto-Root is compatible with Galaxy S5 SM-G900F only. Do not attempt installing it on any incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S5 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Root Galaxy S5 SM-G900F Running Android 4.4.2 Stock Firmware via CF-Auto-Root
Step 1: Extract CF-Auto-Root to get .tar.md5 file and Odin 3.09 to get an exe file using WinRAR, 7-Zip or WinZip.
Step 2: Power off the Galaxy S5 and boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then keep tapping Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 3: Launch Odin on the computer as Administrator.
Step 4: Connect the Galaxy S5 to computer with USB cable in Download Mode. Wait until Odin recognises the device and the ID: COM box will turn light blue with the COM port number. Furthermore, when the device is connected successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears on screen.
Step 5: In Odin, tap AP button and select the CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltexx-smg900f.tar.md5file.
Step 6: Ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected in Odin. But, the Re-Partition option must be unchecked.
Step 7: Verify the step 5 and step 6, before clicking Start button in Odin. When you hit Start, the root installation process will begin.
Step 8: After the root installation process completes, your phone will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. It is now safe to disconnect the USB cable and remove the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F is now rooted on official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. It is now possible to install any app that requires root permission.
Alternately, download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store to confirm the root status of the device.