A man opened fire at a care home in Topeka in a suspected murder-suicide, leaving three people dead before turning the gun on himself, according to police.

Another male victim was also wounded and rushed to hospital although his injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Police officers were at the scene just before 4pm on Sunday (30 April) after they were called to the care home about a suspected shooting. Crime scene tape surrounded the care home for people with special needs on Sunday evening.

Police Lt. Colleen Stuart told the Topeka Capital-Journal that four males were dead and another injured in the incident. She added that the shooter died from a self-inflected gunshot wound and the police were not looking for any other persons of interest.

"This is a very sad situation," Stuart said. "We want to make sure we do this right the first time, and we can provide that closure for the families."

All the fatalities were found inside the home and they were pronounced dead at the scene. Identification of those killed will be made public when next of kin notification is carried out.

Stuart added that the shooter and the victims were all connected with the facility but did not release further details on their association with the home.

Sherry Lundry, development director at TARC, a non-profit organisation that gives support to people with disabilities, said the group home where the fatalities took place is affiliated with TARC but not operated by TARC.

"We are doing all we can to support the provider at this time," Lundry said. "We are doing what we can to make sure services are not interrupted."

Dean Owen, who lives nearby told The Capital-Journal there had been issues at the residence before.

"I'm tired of calling the police about trouble over here," Owen said.

Police had previously arrested a man after Owen called the police.

"I didn't know anything was wrong until the police showed up," the local resident said of the fatal shootings.

A woman arrived on the scene just before 5pm local time and broke down after she learnt of what had happened. She was being cared for by police and was heard to cry out: "I want to see my son."