Emily Gardner speedboat
14-year-old Emily Gardner from the Gloucester area died in a speedboat tragedy in Brixham harbour Devon & Cornwall Police

Tributes have been paid on social media to 14-year-old Emily Gardner from the Gloucester area who died in a speedboat tragedy near Brixham Harbour, Torbay, Devon.

Emily was with two friends, reported as Holly Pritchard and Gemma Gadsden, both 15, and the 50-year-old father of one of the girls when the incident happened on Saturday (2 May).

It's believed the four aboard the speedboat were part of a group on holiday in Devon and Emily was out for the day with a friend and her family.

The other three were rescued by two men on jet skis but Emily was trapped underneath the boat. A rescue team managed to free her and took her to shore. She was taken to Torbay Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

In a statement Emily's family said: "Our beautiful Emily was a caring loving, gentle daughter and sister. She was full of life and had the world ahead of her. She was our diamond, now shining bright in the sky. She will be missed and forever in our hearts."

The two men who helped rescue the victims, aged 50 and 18 and from the Worcester area, were also treated for minor injuries. The others were released from hospital after suffering minor injuries.

The 16-ft long speedboat, which was privately owned, was recovered and taken away for examination. Devon & Cornwall Police said the jet skis are also being investigated.

Deputy senior investigating officer Detective Sergeant Andy Turner said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends who are affected by this tragic incident.

"I would like to thank the public and the emergency services for their assistance in getting the casualties to hospital swiftly.

"Enquiries are ongoing and we are keen to speak to any witnesses who have not already come forward."

A spokesperson for South Western Ambulance Service (SWAST) said: "We were called by the coastguard at 12.01pm on Saturday afternoon. It was reported that a boat had overturned. We sent four ambulances to the scene and an officer, who was able to liaise with the other services involved."