Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) is among the lucky few mid range Samsung smartphones to receive the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update via unofficial CyanogenMod 12 ROM, with due credit to the industrious CyanogenMod team for creating the ROM, and XDA senior member mukulsoni for releasing it.
XDA Developers have confirmed that the unofficial build of CM12 ROM is highly stable and fully functional, except for the incoming voice feature on the second SIM and FM Radio audio.
As the ROM is entirely based on the original AOSP source code, it is devoid of any bloatware apps as in the case of stock ROMs, but feels much lighter than the native TouchWiz UI found on Samsung's official firmware.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into this ROM are listed below:
- Wifi working
- FM radio added
- SELinux Disabled
- Updated Music Player
- Updated Gallery
- Updated default calendar
- New beautiful default wallpaper
- New boot animation
- Whisherpush (sms encryption)
NOTE: Those who are facing the screenlock bug on their Galaxy Grand 2 should download the newer 2.0.1 version of CM12 ROM here.
Those who wish to try out the latest Lollipop firmware on their Galaxy Grand 2 may go ahead and install the unofficial CyanogenMod 12 ROM, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy Grand 2 with model number SM-G7102 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy Grand 2 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to Install Unofficial CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 ROM on Galaxy Grand 2
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 custom ROM for Galaxy S2 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CM12 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Now boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Now perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Now click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
If you are upgrading an older version of CyanogenMod ROM, then follow these steps:
- Download ROM
- Reboot to recovery
- Do not wipe data or perform Factory Reset
- Wipe only cache and dalvik
- Flash ROM and reboot
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.