The Nexus devices are luckily the first devices to get the official MIUI ROMs porting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean onboard. Nexus smartphone and tablet users are in for a treat as the new MIUI ROM delivers smooth performance with Jelly Bean's Project Butter technology and adds exciting new features such as advanced voice recognition, enhanced and highly customisable notifications and smarter keyboard.
Thanks to MIUI, one of the most renowned custom ROM developers for Android, the official MIUI ROM is now available as part of its second year anniversary celebrations to the Galaxy Nexus i9250.
The ROM also supports unique interface capabilities such as inbuilt themes support, privacy protection features, optimised calls and SMS features, and more. Though the ROM is said to be highly stable, it could still harbour a few minor bugs, as it is not the final release.
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to the international GSM Galaxy Nexus model - i9250 only. It is incompatible with Verizon and Sprint variants or any other device. You can verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup their important personal data (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Jelly Bean update.
- It is mandatory to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP or ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on your Galaxy Nexus smartphone before attempting to install the official MIUI ROM based Jelly Bean update on it. Otherwise, the installation may corrupt your device's software causing irreparable damage to the unit.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not imply any warranty claims with device damage or issues arising out of using this Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install MIUI ROM Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Nexus
1. Download the latest version of the MIUI ROM from MIUI Android development page (Download here). Look for the "maguro" version of MIUI under the 4.1.x heading and download it (as highlighted in screenshot below):
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip file in step 1 to the phone.
3. Power off the phone and boot into TWRP/CWM recovery through a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen powers on. Then, using Volume buttons navigate to the Recovery mode option, and select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery.
4. Now, hit Backup, and then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to initiate backup process for your current ROM. This backup could be used for restoring your earlier ROM if something goes wrong with the newer ROM. Once backup completes, return to the main menu by tapping the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
5. Hit Wipe, then choose Factory Reset and then click Yes to confirm the data wipe. Please note this process will not wipe your internal SD card's contents, so you can leave it alone. Now, return to the main menu by hitting the home button after wipe is complete.
6. Tap Install, then locate and choose the ROM file you downloaded in step 1 above. Confirm installation to flash it.
7. Once the ROM is installed, tap Reboot system now button to boot up the phone into MIUI ROM. First boot is usually time consuming and will take about 5 to 7 minutes.
NOTE: In case you want to restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select Restore, and then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
MIUI ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Galaxy Nexus.
[Source: The Android Soul]